I just finished an overall meander (edge to edge) quilt design on my girlfriends quilt which will be featured in an upcoming St. John MBC Centennial Quilt show!
I fiddled a bit with the correct the stitch tension.... I made the meander large scale since her four biggest blocks were a sixteen inch pieced star pattern.
Recently... a blogger challenged me to COUNT THE COST..... the time it takes to Quilt a queen size quilt !! The unusual size for this one was 68" x 92" (finished/binding)
After saftey-pin layout of quilt-batting-backing : I loaded the frame at bat 5:30pm and quilted till about 10pm. I was quite relaxed (TV in background), and I had thread breakage/bobbin out ONLY apt three times!!!
Since the frame is 5ft.... the overhand remained as I rolled forward..... Since the throat area of the longarm is approx 15 inches, I quilted a first row-meander from right edge --turned and moved into a second-row meander ending at the right edge again!! KOOL...
Back to timing..... I shut down the evening and finished in abt another hour/half on the next day.
Next in line... was "SQUARING UP" my little-big pretty. I'm pretty good and swift in gauging the whole process in art 30-40 minutes. I did transport this quilt to our Church Meeting Room. We assemble TWO 8ft tables and stand waist high. This is great to move and measure successfully.
The next COUNT THE COST item was cutting, sewing, ironing (sew-down again) and then sewing to attach to the quilt!